Sunday, August 29, 2010

Caitlin's Marathon Simulation

Time: 118:46
Distance: 18.33 miles

W/u: 2:34 for .25 miles
W/o: 15 miles at 6:15 to 6:30 pace
C/d: 22:54 for 3.08 miles

I showed up to McMullen Creek Greenway a little before 7:00 am in order to meet up with Caitlin for her marathon simulation run. She was already out on the trail with Stephen Spada getting in a little warm up. I chatted with Mark Hadley and his son, Bryce, for a couple of moments before I headed out on the trail. I only had about 200 meters to run down the path before I ran into Red and Spada.

The goal was to run easy for the first couple of miles and then start clicking off marathon race type splits. Since Caitlin is shooting for a debut marathon somewhere in the 2:43-2:48 range it called for 6:15 to 6:30 splits to start. We had the luxury of a shaded course and the stellar water crew in the two Mr. Hadleys.

Splits:
6:34, 6:17, 6:10, 6:15, 6:31, 6:40 (probably wrong),
5:50, 6:07, 5:53, 6:10, 6:19, 6:08, 6:10, (~1:21:40 at 13.1 miles),
6:08, 6:03 for 93:18 total and 15 miles. Average of 6:13 pace.

Caitlin has a better recap of this workout than I because it is an integral part of her training block. I was just tagging along for moral support and to give some guidance like when she didn't want to eat the second Honey Stinger Gel, and when her breathing became a little strained with 3 miles to go.

Personally, I didn't feel great until about 10k into the workout. It actually matched up around the time I brought Spada back to the group on our first loop around Cavalry Church. I was tight and labored in my breathing before finally being able to feel controlled with the pace.

I was impressed with the splits we were clicking off during the simulation. Caitlin was very controlled throughout and she was looking powerful on the hills. Billy jumped in the workout about at the 4 mile mark and continued with us the rest of the way. I was happy to be done since my legs are a little sore after Greek Fest yesterday morning. I wasn't down with the 3 mile jog at the end, but knew it would probably help with my recovery.

No comments: