Saturday, March 26, 2011

100 x 5k World Record Watching

Time: 27:24
Distance: ~3.8 miles

The Charlotte Running Club began the assault on the 100 x 5k World Record this morning at a littler after 6:00 am. Ben Hovis started things off with a 16:04 and his wife, Megan, followed with a 17:48. Meagan and I had been tracking the progress via The Book of Faces all morning.

We headed over to the Providence Day Track to watch and run with a group of club members around 9:00 am. The jog took us through the Landsdowne neighborhood for a couple of miles. Upon returning to the track I did some drills and a couple light strides just to get a feel for a faster pace. My adjusted predicted time is 16:15 which is probably pretty accurate, but I'm going to run hard to set a baseline for my fitness. If there weren't a world record attempt going on, I'd no excuse to run hard and would definitely just ease into my training. Whether I run 15:50 or 16:50 tomorrow, at least I'll know how to tailor the workouts in the weeks afterward.

No comments: