Friday, March 4, 2011

"I have one speed, one gear..."

...And, it's not "go."

So far 2011 has been a bust. I am still battling achilles issues despite taking pretty good care of the little bastard. I've been grateful to have Dr. Greenapple on my side who has continued to treat my thickened achilles tendon with laser, ART and acupuncture. He's even done a few manipulations to my pelvis in hopes of correcting the cause of the problem. In fact, today I was sent a text (yes, we are on that level) saying he watched a video of me running and found the cause of my problems. It's too bad that he's currently out in Colorado working with the Acupuncture Sports Medicine Apprenticeship Program. Selfishly, I need him here to fix me up. Fortunately, I know he'll return with even better skills to treat me.

All that being said, the achilles is feeling a little bit better. I went on a 5 mile run Tuesday morning with Meagan and when I returned home decided it would be smart to ice with a frozen cup. Not so smart. Despite only icing for 10 minutes, I found everything tightened up making it difficult to walk. On Wednesday I went out to McAlpine with Meagan to hold the watch in her workout. I ran about 15 minutes in the warm up and another 15 minutes on her recoveries. It didn't feel fantastic, but I could jog around without too much discomfort. Instead of an ice cup, I used a big ol' bucket of ice water. After a few moments wincing in pain I was able to calm the inflamed part of my leg. It wasn't uncomfortable to walk afterward so it looks like ice bucket trumps ice cup.

My return to competition isn't really a concern right now. I want to resume training first and go from there. I know that I've lost a fair amount of fitness but I can't worry about that. I'll be on the sideline for most of the races this spring which will only make my training that much more inspired. I'll be glad to join the likes of Paul, Jay, Rocky, John, Aaron, Estéban and others out on the roads soon. I hear this guy named Frank, Nick Frank is trying to make a name for himself in the game of running this year. Word on the street is that he did a tempo run at 5:15 pace. Pretty solid stuff, but it's only a matter of time before he goes on a trail run.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you left my name out of the list of runners you look forward to joining. you really are the worst friend.

all joking aside, i'm crossing my fingers, consulting my shaman, doing my hippie good vibes dance and more, all in the hopes that your achille's gets better soon.

Unknown said...

what happened to the dmso and horse linament treatment routine? I read somewhere that the army had really good luck treating achilles tendinosis by having patients stick there leg in ice water for 8 hours/day. Maybe give that a try, that bucket o' hell is sure a bitch though. I seem to have mended but I still won't dare venture to the east side hills for the long run. Heal up!

jayholder8k said...

I hear ya man. 2011 has been a bust for me too. I am on hopefully, the upside of injury number two. Way to stay positive and see the big picture!

Author said...

Get better, Jokin.