Saturday, September 22, 2007

Addison Oktoberfest 5k

Total Time: ~49:52
Total Distance: 7-8 miles
Race Time: 15:30
Distance: 5k

Scotty D., J.B. Lagos and I made our way to the race but not without getting lost. We showed up at 8:00 am, were registered by 8:05 and I was in my kit and flats by 8:10. Needless to say, I didn't get much of a warm up. I might have run 5 minutes beforehand, threw in a couple strides along the home stretch, and got the hair wet before the gun went off. I was sizing up the competition when two minutes before the start a Kip walks out from the crowd of people.

The race started and I followed the Kenyan by a few strides. We were out hard for the first 400-600 meters before settling in. By 800 meters a few other guys joined us at the front. It was the Kenyan, a shirtless high-schooler, a shirtless bald guy and a runner from Luke's Locker and me. I couldn't see the shadow of Scotty D. for the first mile which had me a little worried. We came through in 4:48 and the shirtless high-schooler looked over and said, "that was dumb." He was out the back 400m later. Not too long after the mile when we were going down the bridge/overpass, Scotty D's profile came up out of nowhere. He was back in the mix and hit the front. I was feeling good and by the time we hit the turn around it was down to the Kenyan, Scotty D. and myself. I took control of the race by 2 miles and continued to press but didn't make any hard move. I was up front as we headed up the bridge/overpass and was closely followed by the Kenyan and Scotty D. I knew the Kip was going to make a move to win the race at some point and he charged coming off the hill but I quickly covered and 400m later I was back in the front. I wasn't going to make a true move until the final straightaway but with 600-800m to go I saw that his shadow was falling further behind so I continued to press. Once I hit the final straight I hit it hard for 30 meters making sure he knew I wasn't going to be caught and the prize money was mine. Results can be found here.

Cooled down with Scotty D. 29:22.

No comments: