Saturday, September 29, 2007

State Fair 5k Run

Time: 65:13
Distance: ~10 miles

Showed up to the Texas State Fair grounds around 7:45 and found out I would have to pay $10 to park. I went back on the street and opted for a lot guarded by a man sitting in his Cadillac eating McDonald's. He looked like a trustworthy fellow, so I threw him 5 bucks and headed over the race. Learned that we would have to take a tram to the starting line which was near a park outside of the fairgrounds. This means I could have save my five dollar menu chicken sandwiches and parked on the street. I was a little pissed at this point.

W/u 18:38 on the streets surrounding the park. Oh, it wasn't really a park but more of a grass patch. I was lucky enough to find Malcolm X Blvd. that was about in the same condition as most MLK Blvd. There was a store called Tycoon Threads on one of the streets I happened to run on.

Tom wanted me pressing pretty hard throughout the race and I took him literally. I lined up and was out quickly. A decent runner from the Dallas area followed a couple steps behind me through the mile in 4:36.07. He must have been shocked at the split b/c he immediately backed off to take second. I ran the second mile in 4:49.9 and finished up with a 4:58.03. I wasn't able to lift as well as I would have like the last 800 meters which is why I slowed. Ended up crossing the finish line in 14:55 and winning a couple plane tickets on SouthWorst. Results can be found here.

C/d 31:40 with the guy who took third. He went to BYU for a couple years and was Josh McAdams former roommate. He was in town for his buddy's bachelor party. He also said he used to be coached by Jason Lunn.

No comments: