Sunday, September 16, 2007

CVS Downtown 5k


Time: 53:33
Distance: ~9 miles

Walked down from College Hill a couple hours before race time. I was able to get my race packet and t-shirt with plenty of time to spare. Chatted with Berg just briefly after picking everything up. Spoke to Tom and the D'mouth crew. Met up with Tarpy out by the Capitol and hung out near the elite athlete tent. He and I warmed up on the course for 19:08. Saw a bunch of guys getting prepared (Jonathon Riley, Bolota Asmeron, Nick Willis, Boaz, Aaron Aguayo, Josh Moen, Max King, etc.). Got back to the tent and slipped my Team OK Runner jersey on. I couldn't find my chip for a few minutes but luckily I spotted it in the grass.

Lined up with some of the other Ivy League guys. I didn't want to go out too hard the first 400m down the hill. I got off the line well and wasn't flying down the hill out of control. I think I may have been behind some of the women through 300m. I quickly passed them and made my way up alongside and past Ian Marcus, John Traugott, Alisdair Foreman and finally Andy Pitts. Through the mile I was 4:40 and feeling good. I kept working my way up to the next group as smoothly as possible. I worked on catching a group of 4-5 guys from 1.25 miles to 2 miles and once I did, I was past them in a few strides. I wished there was someone I could have latched on to but I think I went out too slow. I was through 2 miles in 9:22 and still feeling relaxed. I was a little out in the open and trying to focus on the back of the guy(s) in front of me. I finished decently strong up the hill and was close to 14:08 at 3 miles and finished in 14:44. Results here. As you can see, Tarpy ran out of his mind. Much respect to my former teammate from Brown University.

Cooled down up to the field hockey game with Neil Hamel and Tarpy. Had to get back down to the meeting for the Ivy Leaguers and then walk back up the hill with Mike Piche for the end of the game. Total 19:41

No comments: