Friday, February 8, 2008

Crazy Warmup, Good Workout, Epic Cooldown

Time: 79:47
Distance: 10.5 miles

After class and before Owen and Nark got to town I needed to get in a solid workout. I had originally planned to hit the track directly after class but it was a little chilly and I had forgotten my jacket. Instead I took the bus home and started my 25:55 minute warmup from home. It was pretty standard stuff except the part when some dude wanted to fight me b/c I gave his piece of crap van a love tap for cutting me off. As I approached the corner of Beaumont and 12th I actually heard the guy's door open and shut b/c he said he was going to "kick my ass" and "go right here." Yea, that gets the adrenaline going early on in the workout. I ended with a few laps on the track while some Navy ROTC kids were running a 1.5 mile timed session.

Tom wanted me to cut a few shapes at goal race pace. Everything was to be under 60 seconds and I could take as much rest possible. The key was to keep the pace honest.

Target: 6 x 400 in under 60 secs. Rest ideally of 3-4 minutes.
Splits: 30.46, (2:07), 30.08, (4:00). Started with a couple 200s with 400 jog.
59.88, (2:59), 59.81, (3:00), 59.58, (3:00), 59.75, (3:00), 59.63, (3:00), 57.63 for 28:03 total and 3.5 miles.

Overall, I was pleased with how the workout went. I was under the lights and on the track starting my workout at about 8 pm. All things considered it went well. There was no breeze to speak of which made things out of the ordinary. It was a little cold and the muscles had a bit of a hard time responding, but I could clip of 59 secs pretty easily. I was jogging the rest 400m in about 2:05 and would stand around until 3 mins. I was pretty much recovered by 2:30.

On the c/d of 25:49 I had one of the most epic runs ever. I put a phone call out to Tom explaining how the workout went. He told me that he had to go b/c he was being a fat kid and was getting some ice cream. I then called Owen who was in the car driving with Nark up to Norman in order to surprise Jilane and sell some 'boks to OK Runner. As I'm talking to Oface, Tom proceeds to call Nark which I can hear in the background. I immediately call him (Tom) out by way of Owen. Tom hangs up and re-calls me when I opt to merge the phone calls of Owen and Tom. We get some good stories going which leaves Nark feeling left out. Nark then calls Owen who is able to merge all the calls and later Hanley is dialed and added, but just for a short time. This is pretty confusing to follow in writing just as was our conversation. It was a bit difficult to understand everyone as people were trying to talk at once. It would have helped if we had a "talking stick." However, it made for the most amazing cool down in the history of cool downs. While some people may call me out for running with the phone (i.e. Jilane), I would argue that it's no different than running with music and certainly more productive.

No comments: