Saturday, September 27, 2008

Boomer! Sooner!

I was working at the store today when a customer who has season tickets overheard that I was going to be tailgating with friends near the stadium. After he left the store OK Runner received a phone call and Mr. Johnson informed me that he had an extra ticket to the game because his son is in the Pride of Oklahoma and gets in for free. He invited me to the game and on his way to the stadium he dropped the ticket off. Sweet!

Normally I wouldn't be too inclined to go sit with a family I barely know when I could watch the game with the 30,000 people outside the stadium on a big screen drinking all the tallboys I could handle and watch the other games on television including #3 Georgia vs #8 Alabama. (I mean I do need to get into beer miling shape). However, I didn't want to offend the customer and, besides, I had given Meagan 10:1 odds on the game straight up. She was willing to bet $5 which meant I was putting up $50 and if I was going to lose, I might as well be witness to the carnage.

I was right outside of the stadium when OU first scored and I could hear 85,000 fans cheering excitedly. The Sooners were up 7-0 only minutes into the game. However, it was soon followed by 85,000 boos as the play was called back. Only a few moments later the 85,000 fans were back on their feet when Sam Bradford hooked up with Manny Johnson for a long passing score. I quickly stashed my belongings under the track bleachers and was ready to enter the stadium.

As an athlete of a big school you are granted the privilege of sitting right behind the band, nearly on top of the field. I knew this was going to be quite different as I trekked up and up and up to section 232. It was hot, I was sweaty and now I was going to have to sit with people I didn't know in the fucking nosebleeds. I had to keep telling myself that the $63 ticket was free. As I took my seat was a little shocked at how little the players looked, but then I discovered that sitting on the south 30 yd line I nearly had a "tv" angle of the field. From our vantage point you could really see the plays develop, players getting open in the backfield, the holes open up in the line and it wasn't that bad.

Not so bad from up here.
After the first quarter the rout was on and the Sooners were on top of the horny frogs 21-3. OU had racked up 222 yards of total offense despite not being able to run the ball. The fans in our section were generally older and more reserved but they knew their football stats. I sat a few seats down from a woman who knew all of the top 25 teams and she knew TCU had the best ranked rush defense in the nation. The second quarter was rather uneventful until the Sooners took over with about 2 minutes to play before half and Sam Bradford, again, passed long to Manny Johnson for another score.

A view of the new scoreboard. (I think the track is getting the old one).

TCU's band. Meagan's pride is out there somewhere.

Since I need to wrap this up, I will only say that I am now $5 richer and Meagan is $5 poorer. OU won 35-10. The game was great and the rest of the night was fun too as it was Coleman's 24th birthday. The night was given an extra boost since Alabama beat Georgia 41-30 which ensured OU being ranked #1 come Monday. A small group of us (Scotty D., Coleman, Kristi, Spenis and Rook) ended up at on the Corner to celebrate. The first four of us started at Brother's and then were convinced to join the other two at Joe's Taverna. Good times all around.

1 comment:

Meagan Nedlo said...

Congrats on winning two of our bets in one week. I'll treat you to a Chik-Fil-A dinner to pay my debt.