Sunday, September 28, 2008

Make 'em Hurt

Time: 83:07
Distance: 11.67
Pace: 7:07

I waited most of the day before heading out on a run to Kristi's new place which would be Coleman's old place. They spent most of the morning moving stuff from her old apartment to the McKinley St. house. I spent most of the morning watching Haile G set a new world record in the marathon. If you have time to watch it definitely do so, it's ridiculous to see a guy go through 10k in 29:09 and still have 20 miles to run. There is a cool article that breaks down his splits and gives what was a live analysis of the leader's progress throughout the race.

2:03:59!

Our run was much slower than 14:40 5k pace, but it was still good. The three of us ran together on grass loop for about 3+ miles before Kristi had to stop and purge her Red Robin lunch that was mistakenly eaten hours earlier. Coleman and I continued on back to the house and we stretched for a bit before them two headed to a movie.

I continued back out on Lindsey and spotted a dude running at a fairly good clip about 100m in front of me. I picked up the pace and caught him by Lindsey and Elm. His name is Andres Gonzalez and he was trying to get in 85 minutes of running. I found out that he is one of the walk-ons for the OU cross country team that Coach Martin Smith needed to fill the roster. Coincidently Andres also lives at Campus Lodge and last year he ran for OCU. He was excited about getting to race the OSU Jamboree this weekend which is going to be a sick race with Ryan Vail and German Fernandez up front. Anyway, we wound our way back along Pickard where we crossed the path of two dudes that looked to be fit and true distance runners but I had never seen either one before and I was surprised because if you can run sub-7 minute pace and you live in Norman, I'll probably know your name. As we were running along Ponca, Andres starting feeling terrible and told me that he was going to stop and puke. I continued on my home proud that I had made two runners puke on the same run. I guess I'm not in that bad of shape after all.

No comments: