Friday, April 1, 2011

The Next Generation

Time: 30:00
Distance: ~3 miles

My little brother who is 8 years old wanted me to take him out running. He's just started running track, but missed his first meet when the family came to Myrtle Beach. I should have held a true dual meet between me and him, but I didn't think of it at the time. When I asked how far he wanted to run he said a 5k which was fine by me. We headed out from the resort and toured the neighborhood nearby. The pace was nice and easy for me and solid for Tyler.

The biggest challenge was getting him to focus on the running part. He tried to shoot me a couple of times with a rubber band and once stopped to stare at a dead squirrel. I almost had to pry him away from the carcass as you would a leashed dog. He wanted to poke it with a stick, but I suggested that wasn't the smartest idea. As I encouraged to keep going he just kept starring saying, "oh man his tail got run over! And I can see his teeth!" One of my former teammates at Brown, Nick Neely, would definitely approve of Tyler's curiosity because he once did an art project where he took ink impressions of roadkill. There's a good blogpost out there on an incident of Nick painting a squirrel with ink in the middle of the road and some highway patrolman giving him a hard time.

We eventually got back to the resort where I tried to show Tyler some drills and did a few strides. It was fun to be out there with the little bro but I didn't tire him out enough as he wanted to hit the pool and play basketball immediately afterward.

Update: Just found Nick's post! Read it!

No comments: