Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sacramento American River Parkway II

Time: 115:13
Distance: 18 miles

Started from Tara's house and ran the 10 minutes to the American River. I deliberately ran off the levee to the 10.5 mile mark and started taking splits of: 3:30, 6:37, 6:32, 6:30, 6:27, 6:23, 6:18, 6:18. Stopped at the 18 mile mark (7.5 miles along the bike path out) where a water fountain was conveniently located. After a light stretch and some drinking of some water I began the trek back. If I had a Gu packet with me I would have definitely used it, but I didn't so I continued on. The splits on the way back were: 6:09, 6:08, 6:06, 6:04, 5:59, 5:59, 5:51, 2:59. I considered asking some of the bikers if they had any Gu, but I didn't. I stopped around 14 mile mark and got some more water. I wasn't particulary parched but I didn't want to crash out on the bike path.

I'm pleased with how I was able to drop the pace without putting in too much effort. I just let the run come to me and wasn't pressing at any point. The legs eventually fell into a rhythm on the way back where I couldn't run much faster but it wasn't hurting that bad. The run is the longest I've gone in quite some time.

No comments: