Saturday, October 24, 2009

Candlelight 8k

Time: 70:33
Distance: ~9.5 miles
Race: 25:47 for 8k, 3rd

W/u: 30:32 for 3.82 miles
C/d: 14:14 for 1.62 miles

It was a busy volunteering weekend here in Charlotte as the Queens athletes were roped into helping out at the Candlelight 8k. Scott Simmons was co-race director along with Saul Bizuneh, Fasil Bizuneh's brother. The first year race was out in Gastonia, NC and was offering a cash payout of $500, $200, $100.

I didn't decide to race until about 7:10 pm when I figured I could get a comp entry. I really had nothing to lose if I were to race and there was the possibility of winning some coin. I sent out a few text messages inquiring the whereabouts of some Zap athletes who might show up. They were up in Boston for Mayor's Cup and would not be in attendance. That was great news for me, but I still had to make a decision. I'll tell you what wasn't a good decision...eating the Jason's Deli turkey sammich, potato chips, cookie and three pickles around 5:00 pm.

I started warming up with Jenna and received a call from Simmons saying he could get me in. I was now leaning towards running the race, or at the very least starting it. I had only seen a couple of guys who looked like they could challenge for the lead and the stomach didn't feel too upset. Furthermore, my cold is nearly better but I still cough at the start of runs.

About 20 minutes from the 8:15 pm gun time I spotted the first Kenyan warming up near the start/finish line. I kept my eye out for his buddies as they usually travel in packs. The only other runner that I knew of in attendance was Ryan Woods of Boone, NC. He shows up in a lot of road races that offer a bit of prize money.

The race course was a hilly three loop circuit near the hospital. Simmons suggested a conservative start because we would be running the first hill of approximately 400m in length all three laps. I already had settled on a really conservative "race" plan that involved running for money and dropping out when it looked like there would be no pay day. And, I'm not talking candy bars.

The Kenyan (Julius Kogo) and Woods were out quickly up the starting hill, exiting onto the main road and up the hill on the loop. I was running in third, leading the chase pack of three. I felt settled and content to let the race come down to a kick for $100. I didn't see myself running that aggressively at any point so I was most concerned with running relaxed with Dan Matena (Charlotte Running Club) and Cody Angell (TrySports). The Royals had been assigned course marshaling duties which provided me great crowd support about every 500m.

On the second loop I was able to gap Angell and Matena by the smallest of margins and I felt that Woods was coming back. I maintained a rhythm and kept at it. At the top of each hill, Woods seemed to be gapping me. I thought I might be able to make a run for second place, but when the advantage closed by only 10m on the last climb I knew the difference was insurmountable. I finished strong for third. Splits were:

5:17, 5:04, 5:05, 5:19, 4:55, :08 for 25:47 and 5.03 miles. (Simmons said the course was a little long).

It was fun meeting some new guys out at the race. I haven't been able to run with the Charlotte Running Club yet, but that is something that will eventually happen.

Oh yeah...Kogo. The Kenyan. He ran pretty damn fast. He broke the tape in 23:21 (4:41 average) which for a night race and solo is legit. Kogo trains out of Chapel Hill, NC according to his coach who was present and served as interpreter. One of the guys asked Kogo what he ran and he simply help up his watch to see. Some of his training partners were up in Charlottesville, VA for a race earlier in the day. They also performed well. I heard that they will be running the City of Oaks Half Marathon next weekend.

No comments: