Thursday, October 1, 2009

Exploratory Run

Time: 56:26
Distance: 8.82 miles
Pace: 6:24
Map

I couldn't take another run from the apartment to Freedom Park and I didn't want to drive out to McAlpine. I settled on leaving from the Queens campus after dropping Meagan off for class. The run began running in some Myers Park neighborhoods that we only drive by to get to McAlpine. It's hard running around these parts because you can't get anywhere quickly without using the main thoroughfares. I hate running on busy streets and much prefer side streets which was acceptable in the Oklahoma grid system. If you wanted to get across town there was always a street with less traffic that would run parallel to one of the major roads. Here, not so much.

I hated the grid system in Oklahoma because it was boring and if there was a wind much of the run could be spent running straight into a 30 mph breeze without any sort of reprieve. In Charlotte the roads are confusing as they make loops only to connect to other roads making their own loops. There are very few roads that cut directly across to where you need to get.

Today's run took me through a neighborhood just of Providence Road and I thought I was going to be able to explore a bit and perhaps even get lost. Sure enough, the road I was on simply looped back to Providence Road and I spent 1.2 miles running a .4 mile distance up on Providence. This sort of thing happened a few times, but eventually I found my way back to Freedom Park which brought me up to Queens.

After the run I went to the soccer field and ran 6 strides of decent effort with my adidas flats on.

No comments: