Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sega World

Time: 48:50
Distance: 6.58 miles
Pace: 7:18
Map

Today is our first full day in Japan. It started with a really long breakfast down in the hotel lobby. I didn't sleep great but it was definitely better than two years ago when I found myself wide awake at 2 am. I was one of the first patrons at the hotel restaurant along with John Deputy, Yoshi and Ben True. We ate the "Western" breakfast that consisted of runny eggs, undercooked bacon, toast, salad, corn flakes and yogurt. I'm not complaining about the food, but rather accurately portraying what was on the plate. Definitely not the best breakfast I've ever had, but perhaps better than the alternative of fish and rice that is part of the traditional Japanese breakfast.

I sat down in the restaurant for over two hours drinking coffee and letting my stomach settle while others ate. We decided to go out for our morning run around 10 o'clock. I served as run director because I knew where the bike path was since I was here in '07. We ran along the "river" as Jack, our coach, described it. I think Dave and some of the other were a bit let down because in reality it's no more than a 10 foot wide, 2 inch deep canal. It does open up a bit more and run out to the sea, but not for several miles.

It felt good to shake the legs out in a group of talented guys. I think all of us felt better than we had expected. Sitting on the plane, traveling on buses and walking through airports was not fantastic. We were all glad to be out in the fresh air getting the heart rate elevated. The run ended in enough time for us to clean up and put on our costumes prior to meeting the new mayor of Izumo.

1 comment:

Owen said...

Glad to hear the breakfast of champions hasn't changed... Send me a race update whenever you can!