Sunday, October 4, 2009

What's This Supposed to Be?

Time: 88:42
Distance: 13.28 miles
Pace: 6:40
Map

The Queens team got back from Louisville late last night which moved the start time for the long run back an hour. The team placed 7th out of about 38 squads and Mike's run put him 4th overall. The team was tired but in good spirits out at McAlpine because they knew the run wasn't going to be fast or as long as it normally is on Sundays. I ran with Mike and heard about how the race unfolded. My lower legs are still overly tight from Friday's workout. So tight, in fact, that I wore my Zensah compression sleeves in hope of some sort of miracle occurring that would leave me pain free. My calves loosened up a little bit over the run but still were sore. I think it won't be until Tuesday when they start to feel better.

When I got done running I was hanging out with Simon, Devin and Tim by the team's van. Simon was bent over stretching in the middle of the street, a little bit in the way of traffic but not overly hazardous. A Buick rolled up with your typical Buick driver behind the wheel. He stopped, rolled down the window and curmudgeonly bemoaned, "What's this supposed to be?"

Simon answered in his German, Arnold Schwarzenegger-esque accent, "Stretching."

The guy just sat there for a few moments staring at the four of us clearly upset that we had parked, ran and stretched on his neighborhood street. Devin finally spoke up and asked, "Can I help you," which finally broke the guy's glare. Grandpa sped up to a crawl and entered his driveway which means now we know where he lives.

No comments: