Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Confidence Booster

Time: ~52:05
Distance: 7.25 miles

W/u: 18:15 for ~2 miles
W/o: 2 x 200 strides, 3 x 1 mile w/ 2 min recovery
C/d: 18:50 for ~2 miles

The goal this evening was to get some confidence back and get used to hurting again. I haven't run a real workout in about a month or whenever it was that I went to DC for the Nation's Triathlon. I've tried to make my races the hard efforts with a couple days of strides and maybe some uptempo work, but nothing that I would classify as a true hard workout.

Meagan and I drove over to the AG where we met Dean Otto for some light miles to warm up the body. We hit a new trail that surrounds part of Myers Park High School. I did a few strides and light stretches before shedding the jacket and getting to work. The wind was about 10 mph, but not too much of a concern.

Splits:
33.15 (59), 33.12 (1:55),
4:38.75 (2:00), 4:42.20 (2:00), 4:45.40 for 22:07 total and 3.25 miles

I needed this one and am happy with the results. My original plan was to run 72s on the first, 71s on the second and 70s on the third mile, but that went out the window when I rolled off the line. I was a bit quick through the first 400m with a 68-69 second lap. I basically maintained that pace and felt relaxed doing so. I didn't even care when on the third lap a youth football team crowded the homestretch and I had to weave in and out (I have experience now that I ran Race for the Ta-Tas). I couldn't believe how easy sub-4:40 felt. I jogged a bit before the second repeat and caught my breath pretty quick. The second mile was a little tougher, but not that bad either. On the third I wanted to go out more relaxed and then close hard. I hoped for an opening lap of 75, but I went 73, 73, 70, 64.

I'm ready to race confidently and well now in Japan after this workout. It helped that the weather is now ideal for running fast. What a difference 65 degrees with little humidity makes.

No comments: