Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wilmington Long Run

Time: 104:19
Distance: ~15 miles

This run owes a lot to last night's festivities at the Fox and Hound. I ended up staying in Wilmington because there wasn't anything in Charlotte that I needed to be back for since Meagan wasn't getting home until Sunday afternoon. I decided to stay in Wilmington so as to maximize my time out of town.

After the race yesterday I visited a couple of bike stores and worked at a local coffee shop back in the same center where TrySports in located. Around 3:30 I met up with BMac over at the Fox and Hound to watch the OU vs. Texas and NC State vs. VA Tech games. We ordered a tower of beer, finished it, and filled her up again. It was a great way to kill a few hours while Chris Lamperski was slaving away across the street. I'll let BMac recap the rest of our shenanigans in his blog Dinner's for Suckers. It's true that we saw G-force and ate chips for dinner. Needless to say both of us were done by the time double digits hit and Chris was ready to peace out. I slept on the floor at the hotel and enjoyed every minute of it.

In the morning Chris, BMac and I got up and went for a run to the end of Hwy 76. It was literally the end of the road because it just stopped and a sign said "end." Maybe it was the start, ever think of that? We hit the end point (really halfway mark) around 53 minutes and turned for home. It was solidly windy on the way back, but the three of us maintained a relaxed clip all the way back. I felt good with the distance and when we arrived back at the hotel.

I departed Wilmington after a shower, quick breakfast and refueling of the sportwagon. I wasn't looking forward to the 4 hour drive back to Charlotte and was especially dreading the US-74/Independence section near Monroe. I tweeted about it being the worst road in America when leaving on Friday. It's definitely no Route 66. I was, however, looking forward to seeing Meagan and being back home for a few days.

No comments: