Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mediocre Day of Racing

Time: 76:32
Distance: ~11.75 miles

W/u: 18:40 for ~2 miles
Big South 5k: 15:33 for 3rd

W/u: 6:19 for ~1 mile
Matthews Rotary Club Fall 5k
: 16:20 for 2nd
C/d: 19:45 for ~2.5 miles

I should have stayed in bed this morning, but I felt like being a tough guy out on the roads. I was out the door around 6:15 am and heading down to Blakeney Shopping Center where the Big South 5k was being held. The race was putting up airline vouchers to the first person across the line and I thought I had a shot at capturing that prize. I should have know better though as I had already logged over 80 miles in 5 days.

It was incredibly cold when I first got to the shopping center and I was hesitant to register. I imagined that Matt Elliott would be in attendance and I didn't think my chances would be good given the miles on the legs. I didn't spot him until my warm up, but decided to sign up anyway. I jogged around the neighborhoods with Kent prior to putting on my singlet and racing flats.

The race started suddenly just as I was congratulated Justin Breland on getting married. I'm not sure why Queen City Timing or Run For Your Life couldn't spend the $100 for a decent starting gun. The whole 3-2-1 countdown is getting old. I settled in behind Matt but never felt comfortable. I ran close to the front as we were joined by Ricky Flynn before we hit the mile in 5:05. I was already starting to fade and ran solo the rest of the way hitting two miles in about 10:13. Ricky and Matt were up front and would duel it out to the end as I brought things home in third. I believe the course was a little short because there is little way for my final 1.1 to be 5:29 based on my early splits.

I pulled a Steven Spada and jumped in the car less than 10 minutes after the race. I quickly made it over to Matthews where the Rotary 5k was putting up some money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I think B-Mac was a little upset when he saw that John Compton and I were in attendance. There were no mile markers on the course so I don't know splits, but I stayed close to Compton for about two miles. I basically made it to the top of a long gradual hill before my legs called it quits. John danced away from me the final mile to take the win. I crossed the line several tics beyond 16 minutes on a course that I would say was long.

After the race I picked up a spoon, bowl and ticket which I got free with my race registration. The Rotary Club of Matthews was having a Bluegrass and Chili Festival. There were probably 15 different groups each featuring their own take on chili. Some were spicy, one tasted like bbq sauce, another was made with venison, and the best was made with Angus beef. It was filling way to end the day of running, by 11:30 I was stuffed with meat and beans and in need of a nap.

Some things to take home from today's mediocre day of racing:
Don't race two 5ks on the same day when you've run more than 80 miles in the week already
A short course + a long course = 10k
Angus beef makes chili better
Find a 3rd 5k next time if you want to win
Staying out with Chris Lamperski the night before a race is a bad idea
Larry Seavers is a good pitchman as he talked me into racing last night

1 comment:

Stephen Spada said...

Good seeing you out at dinner last night...don't sweat the technique!