Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Exploring New Orleans

Time: 60:10
Distance: ~8.5 miles

I booked my return flight to Charlotte prior to knowing the full schedule for the Fleet Feet Conference. I couldn't go wrong with opting for a late afternoon departure to the Q City. I basically had the entire morning to run and catch up on work which was huge for my focus. I hammered away on the computer all morning keeping an eye on the clock. I wanted to time it where I would have enough time to shower before leaving for the airport.

When I stepped out onto Canal St. I ran in the direction of the mighty Mississippi and soon found myself overlooking a muddy industrialized icon of the South. I had hoped there was a path or road that ran along the banks where I could run out and back. Not so much. I had to piece together a few small parks and parking lots before I got bored. The French Quarter wasn't too far away so I ran through it. It didn't provide me with that many miles either.

Somehow I ended up along Bourbon St. I saw it for the first time last night, but in the morning it's so different. The sidewalks were being sprayed down and the bar mats cleaned. The filth from the night before was washed away. The beer trucks were also present and kegs were being delivered. The preparation for the night's debauchery was arriving steadily. Last night was low key as I met up with a friend from junior high. She's lived in NOLA since 2004 and it was nice to have a local show me around. I didn't much care for Bourbon St. but see how it could be a fun time if you're into music, mechanical whales, strippers and beads.

After Bourbon St. I headed out along Magazine St. just looking for extra time. I found another 30 minutes and arrived back at my hotel with time to check out and head off.

No comments: