Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week in Review

Time: 503:59
Distance: ~67.7 miles

The first full week of training in 2011 is behind me. I just now added up the numbers and respect what I see. I spend a good amount of time rehabbing and recovering from a bit of an achilles niggle. I did everything in my power to promote healing. It included, ice, heat, rest, acupuncture, massage, stretching, Vitamin I and more. I still had one more tool to use that I'm glad it was left in the closet. Jeff G. and horse trainers know what I'm talking about.

The highlight of the week had to be the Super Distance Summit where I got to hear Renato Canova, Joe Vigil, Greg McMillan, Scott Simmons and Jay Dicharry all give great talks on specific training blocs, altitude, developing speed endurance, and more. Sunday night a group of met up at Duckworth's and we invited Simmons to attend. This allowed for a little debriefing of the conference. I had mostly good things to say but I was underwhelmed by the introduction given to Renato Canova. Basically, he was introduced as, "the great Italian coach..." This is in comparison to Jay Dicharry's introduction who got a good run down of his accolades. Not to undermine Dicharry, but he's just a bio-mechanist who wants to keep athletes out on the roads, but not make them faster. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Canova produces world beaters. Let's take a quick look at his accomplishments through the introduction I would have given.

"Obviously all of you in the room are students of the sport, but how many fans of the sport do we have here? How many coaches, especially high school coaches, take the time to glance at the more quality message board posts? Follow the professional and college racing scene? I'm sure for most, our next presenter is the least familiar to you. But, if you do read the boards, you know that he makes some of the most honest and helpful training posts that have proven results. While you're trying to get athlete's to break the 5 minute mile, he's trying to get athlete's run run a marathon at 5 minute pace. It is my hope you can find a commonality in training methods despite the disparity between his and your athletes' abilities.

Our next presenter comes all the way from Italy. He's found the time to be here before making his way to a training camp in Nairobi, Kenya. Renato Canova has produced world record holders like Stephen Cherono (now Saif Saeed Shaheen) in the 3k steeplechase. He's produced 26:30 (~4:14 per mile pace) 10k runners like Nicholas Kemboi and multiple world champions on the track and on the cross-country course. Most recently his athlete Florence Kiplagat -- coming off pregnancy -- won the world cross-country championships in 2009 and the world half marathon championships in 2010. Last year Silas Kiplagat ran the fast 1500m time in the world with a 3:29.27 (~3:45 mile pace). His athletes not only run fast, but they are prepared to run fast and with the world's best at the right time.

Canova is the author of A Scientific Approach to the Marathon. He has conducted multiple studies around the world focused on the human body's systems in their relationship to running. I could continue on, but I hope you understand that we're all in the presence of one of the best coaches on the planet. Plus he looks really cool in those glasses... Please welcome Signore Renato Canova."

Canova rocks the sweet Ray Ban shades at all times.

Maybe the all the high school coaches wouldn't have left during his second presentation if they actually knew who this guy was. I'm sure he was viewed as the snobby Italian coach with poor English who has a hard time writing on white boards. Unfortunately, I think they took the most away from Coach Arris because he's managed to create one of the best high school program, but how many of his athlete's have set world records?

Here's another good recap of the weekend from Mark Hadley.

Canova chilling at the front of the room wondering he's surrounded by a bunch of slackers.

No comments: