Sunday, January 16, 2011

Long Run + Tempo with Caitlin

Time: 111:32
Distance: ~16 miles

W/u: 72:58 for ~10 miles
W/o: 3 miles tempo with Caitlin
C/d: 21:01

Caitlin and I ran for 10 miles this morning before putting some items on Rebecca Thomason's porch. She had to run 3 miles hard so it was back to the Dilworth Speed Loop. We settled into a pace that was fast, but seemed relatively relaxed. My legs were sore from the last two days of running hard. I struggled to get my legs moving at a pace even close to 6 minutes per mile.

It didn't help that I was running in a pair of Saucony Get Go's for the second or third time. Each time I run in a new brand or pair of shoes, I try to give it a fair assessment. It usually takes me 50 miles on a given pair to feel like I can accurately assess the kicks. I hope this pair breaks in a bit more and starts transitioning smoother, but right now it feels like I'm slapping the ground with each step. My footsteps aren't as smooth as they should be and make a ton of noise.

Splits:
5:49, 5:58, 5:45 for 17:33

The achilles is feeling damn good, but the same can't be said for Caitlin's IT band. She had to walk home from the Speed Loop while I ran back to the house and picked her up.

Later in the day while hanging out at Caitlin and John's, I got a serious calf massage from Garrett. If you don't know, Garrett is Caitlin's boyfriend who plays minor league baseball in the Houston Astros farm system. He's got some seriously strong hands... just don't tell Meagan.

1 comment:

choose to be happy blog said...

stumbled upon your blog... my boyfriend plays for the phillys minor league team :) dreading march!! hate when he leaves!