Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Run and Some Needles

Time: 61:47
Distance: 8.6 miles

I ran with Meagan this morning on the same loop as yesterday. Felt good, but not great. Healing is taking place each day which is all I can ask for.

This evening I had the opportunity to have Dr. Scott Greenapple of Greenapple Sports & Wellness take a look at my achilles. Everybody in Charlotte who is a runner knows Dr. G and many of the Charlotte Panthers do too. He asked me if it was the attachment or the area just above the achilles (the fleshy part) because treatment is very different. Greenapple performed a fews tests, did laser and then brought me into the eastern medicine room.

Me eagerly and patiently waiting for Dr. Greenapple to bring the healing... and needles.

I think Dr. Greenapple took joy in "threading" my achilles.

Close up shot of the achilles threading and my gross foot.

This was the first time I've ever had acupuncture and I immediately took a liking. The doc said he was using bigger needles than normal because I wasn't flinching much when he inserted them. Who's tough? This guy. What I found most interesting was that I asked Greenapple if he had hooked me up to the electrodes yet (which he hadn't) because I was already feeling some sort of sensation. It was similar to the electric response you feel in the early stages of being hooked up to a stim machine, that little tingling and vibrating. He said the Chinese call that "daichi" or "dachi" (I can't find the actual term now that I'm looking on the interwebs. My Chinese spelling isn't the greatest and all I can find is a video to a really good beatboxer named Daichi or a karate pose that is Dachi). Anyway, I had a great response to the needles being inserted and thought favorably of the treatment. My hope is that a lot of blood flowed to the achilles and sparked some an increased level of healing.

No comments: