Saturday, January 15, 2011

Landsdowne Workout

Time: 89:43
Distance: ~12 miles

W/u: 16:59 for ~2.2 miles
W/o: 4 x 400m, 6 mile tempo, 4 x 400m
C/d: 13:04 for ~1.6 miles

Last night I was hanging over at John and Caitlin's pad watching Inception. I got word that John, Ben Hovis and Rocky Falcone were running a workout in Landsdowne in the morning. No knock on the workout I did with Caitlin, but I decided to step it up in terms of workout groups.

It was cold when I made it to the parking lot of Old Bell. I arrived just in time to see Ben nearly slip on some of the ice still on the roads. Everyone arrived shortly thereafter and we began our warm up to the Landsdowne neighborhood. I started really really slow, but had caught the group by the time we arrived to our loop.

Since I was just tagging along, I didn't really have any ambitions to really hammer the pace. John and Ben led the first couple 400s with me contently tucked behind. Ran were running solidly fast on Paul Mainwaring's "Figure 8 Loop."

Splits:
74.56 (59), 71.88 (60), 74.28 (59), 71.20
(4:11)
11:29 - 5:46, 5:43
11:28 - 5:42, 5:36
11:06 - 5:32, 5:34
(5:42)
75.63 (61), 74.75 (60), 71.56 (63), 74.75
59:40 total for 8+ miles

After the 4 hundos, we took a quick break and started our 6 mile tempo. John and Ben took pacing duties for the early miles. I followed closely behind not feeling entirely comfortable and a little awkward in my stride. After a couple miles I started to heat up and needed to ditch my jacket. It was tossed after completely one of our loops and I soon rolled up on John's shoulder. We ran side by side for the final two miles over rolling terrain. I never felt fantastic, but fell into a decent rhythm as we approached marathon pace. I guess that's a good sign.

The final 400s were fast but relaxed. I eased in to each one and as soon as I felt good, I took off. It brought me back to the days of Brown when I struggled to tempo with all the 5k/10k guys like Owen Washburn, Nick Neely and Chris Burke. I would get blasted on trying to maintain 5:00-5:05 pace for 4 miles. However, we often hit the track for 200s, 300s, or 400s after the tempo and that's when I got revenge. The miler instincts would kick in and I would be able to inflict a little pain to those other guys. Unfortunately for John, he got a little bit of that today.

Here's what Johnny C had to say on Facebook later in the day:

i'm going to ignore the fact that Jordan Kinley worked out yesterday with Caitlin Chrisman and is recovering from an injury and simply boast that i held my own with him in a workout this morning*

*except for the second set of 400s after the tempo. that would be when he pranced off into the sunrise and made me look like i was simply out...
for a light morning jog

No comments: