Saturday, January 8, 2011

Super Distance Summit: Day 1

Time: 76:41
Distance: ~10 miles

Leo Kormanik who recently placed 10th overall at the USATF Club Cross Country Meet and I went out for a run at McAlpine during the middle of the day. He and his wife, Jennie, are in town for the Super Distance Summit hosted on Queens University of Charlotte's campus. The opening day's talk was given by former Adam's State Coach and legend in the game, Dr. Joe Vigil. He spoke on middle distance training, but more importantly stood for something bigger. He worked the crowd and told stories of his athletes' exploits. It was my first time hearing him speak and I couldn't but be fired up to go for a run.

Leo and I slipped out just before the coach of Fayetteville Manlius took the podium. I had little interest in hearing a high school coach talk about forming team unity and creating a dynasty of a program. The run out at McAlpine was Leo's first other than when he raced at club xc. We had a good chat about all things training, workouts, races, etc. We enjoyed Vigil's talk, but were really looking forward to Ronato Canova to give a chat about his methods. I'll give a bigger recap in my week in review on the entire weekend.

The achilles is feeling good. Not 100%, but damn close.

No comments: