Sunday, January 9, 2011

Super Distance: Summit: Day 2

Time: 75:41
Distance: ~10 miles

Today was the second day of the Super Distance Summit and speakers included Joe Vigil, Ronato Canova, Greg McMillan, Bill Arris and a Q&A panel to kick things off that included everyone. I was impressed with Scott Simmon's ability to bring such great speakers and have a sold-out auditorium. The majority of the audience were high school coaches interested in learning something from some of the best coaches. I knew several people including Mark Hadley, Ben Hovis, John Compton, Jenna Wrieden (High Point University), Amber Moran (Team Inov8), Meagan, Leo, Jennie and several others. Everyone had a big interest in the sport and could geek out for hours talking about training, form, diet, altitude, drills, strength, etc.

For the second day in a row, Leo and I skipped out when the high school coach was giving his presentation. I'm sure I would have learned something, but it wasn't going to be from that guy. Earlier in the morning, during the panel discussion, someone asked a question about eating disorders. The audience then spent 30+ minutes listening about how to prevent anorexia and bulimia. It sucked! I was about to rip my hair out. Every time you thought the discussion was going to end, the high school coach chimed right back in with some extra tidbits he's learned over the years. I was there to hear how Vigil coached an Adam State team to multiple national championships and how Renato Canova has fostered world beaters, not an issue that is already known to distance runners. How do you handle disordered eating? It's not rocket science, get help from a councilor, doctor, psychologist. Address it with the parents and at home, find the root cause, etc. I was borderline pissed at how much time we took on such an important, but basic issue. What does Renato Canova care about anorexia when he's trying to develop athletes capable of breaking world records and winning the Boston, Chicago, London, and New York Marathons. He looked bored even though I couldn't see his eyes because he wears sunglasses. Yes, sunglasses. Inside. I was bored. I'm getting all worked up just thinking about how we wasted time talking about an amateurish problem when other questions couldn't be answered in regards to specific workouts and races.

Leo, Meagan and I ran around the Booty Loop and added on through Freedom Park. We chatted mainly about marathoning and the upcoming Houston race. Meagan is making her "re-debut" at the distance and Leo is hoping to qualify with a sub-65 minute half marathon. We talked about the discrepancy between the men's and woman's standards. We talked about raising the bar and much of what Vigil had to say about hard work. It was a good run and I'm glad I was out there with a healthy achilles tendon.

No comments: