Saturday, November 3, 2007

Lancaster Avenue Mile

Time: ~35 minutes
Distance: 5 miles

Sean McCabe and I stayed in Duncan, OK last night. We woke up early and drove down to Fort Worth for the race. We arrived about 9 am and raced around 10:10 am. The course was downhill the first 400m, flat the next 800m and slightly downhill the last 400m. I wasn't in my normal routine of waking up early, shaking out, drinking coffee and having some time before starting the w/u. Once we got to the race, Sean and I ran the course, picked up our numbers and continued on with our w/u of 21:21.

The race went off with the men and women all lined up at the same time. I was hoping to be in contention with 200m to go and win some money. The race purse broke down as follows: $500, $300, $150, $100, $50. The gun went off and within 200m I was off the back hoping to reel people in the next 800m. I never could get my legs turned over and the race just ran away from me. I kept looking up and was hoping to see that the pack was breaking up and some runners were coming back but that never really happened and by 800m I was so far out of it that I basically packed it in. I ran the rest of the race considering pulling out and finding a place to do a tempo run. I was so discouraged after the race I didn't really cool down, just a run back up to the car.

This was by far my worst race of the summer and it is at the distance I like to think I specialize in. Such irony and disappointment there. On another note the Brown Field Hockey team won their first game of the season. It was only fitting for me to run like shit and them to win. Congrats to them.

No comments: