Saturday, May 23, 2009

Andy Payne Pacing

Time: 51:48
Distance: 8.42 miles
Pace: 6:09
Map

This morning I drove up to Lake Overholser to help out Adam Cohen with the marathon at Andy Payne. Scotty and I met up on the east side of the lake and realized that the race was going to start at the new Route 66 park on the west side. On our detour we caught a glimpse of Adam running out in the lead looking chipper.

I had never been to the Route 66 park before, actually, I had never been to Lake Overholser before. It looked like a decent place to host a race but a lot of that had to do with the weather. Amazing. A touch humid, ever so slight breeze and sunny. Fairly ideal conditions for a spring marathon.

Around 8:15 Scotty and I jumped in the race alongside Adam for miles 16 to 24+. He said some of the mile markers seemed off but the pace was pretty honest from the outset. He looked good and allowed Scotty and me to drag the pace along. Since this was my easy day for the week (was supposed to do only 6) I was content to drop out at one full cycle of the lake. However, a little before the turn-off Adam requested that we take him as far as possible because he was having trouble concentraiting. I think we go him within 200 meters of the finish line. He stopped the clock in 2:40:40 which is great given he recently ran the OKC Marathon (finished 4th overall). Oh yea, I think I forgot to mention that Adam is 41.

Jerry's Kids won the 10k and Carrot Top was 3rd.

No comments: