Friday, May 22, 2009

Pickard Tempo Run

Time: 79:55
Distance: 12.10 miles

W/u: 24:06 for 3.04 miles
800m w/ Meagan: ~3:10
W/0: 31:23 for 6.01 miles
C/d: 21:16 for 2.55 miles

Had a tempo run on tap for this morning that started along Pickard. We set it up so that Scotty could run 2 miles before I joined in and then we would run for 4 miles together. I helped Meagan the first 800 meters of her tempo which left me at the corner of Pickard and Timberdell. Scotty was running up ahead and I stashed a water bottle for lap 2 and waited for his return.

I joined the workout and was holding about 5:15 pace with Scotty a few strides behind. I split 5:16.9 for the first mile and 5:13.4 on the second. The pace was comfortable but Scotty was a few strides off so I hesitated to push on. The third mile was 5:16.2 but I quickly responded to the drop in pace to rattle off 5:11.4, 5:15.3 and 5:09.99. Mr. Garmin decided to geek out with the heat and humidity. Actually it was the fact that I was sweating profusely and Mr. Garmin was mistaking my sweat for touches on the bezel. The last few miles were run off feel because I couldn't tell the intermediate pace until I reached a full mile.

I felt strong on the workout but today was the first day I would classify as being hot. The morning was substantially muggier than days past, but not nearly as bad as it will be in a few weeks. Good workout.

No comments: