Friday, June 5, 2009

Four by Mile (1600)

Time: ~65 minutes
Distance: ~10 miles*

W/u: 22:40 for 3.03 miles
W/o: 4 x mile (1600) in 5:05 (1 min rest)
C/d: 16:04* for 2.04 miles

Scotty, Meagan and I left the pad together and headed in the direction of Norman High. When we arrived Scotty pointed out that the gates were locked which meant we were going to have to scurry through a gap in the fence. After dropping our stuff and continuing on for a few more minutes it was back to the track for some pace work.

The workout target was 4 x mile with a minute rest in a touch over 75 sec. per lap. I knew I'd be able to handle the pace, it was the rest that would make the workout honest.

Scotty and I started out and hit:
5:04.94 (:58), 5:04.25 (:59), 5:02.68 (:59), 4:54.13.

The workout went really well with Scotty and I exchanging leads on the backstretch. I felt really comfortable the entire way. The effort wasn't too elevated and my breathing was in control. I was recovering quickly during the rest portions and ready to run the pace immediately. On the last interval on the backstretch of the last lap I took off and hoped to get Scotty to come with the change in pace. I was able to tighten the screws the final 200m and felt good doing so. Finishing the workout with ~67 last lap was encouraging.

*I had a little extra time in there because I ran the last 800 with Meagan on her workout. We also tacked some on at the end for her to reach 9 miles.

No comments: