Friday, June 12, 2009

Boomtown Days Half Preview

Time: 43:28
Distance: 6.05 miles
Pace: 7:11
Map

I am currently posting from Joplin, Mo at Meagan's aunt's house. Meagan and I left Norman a little after 1:30 pm this afternoon. I picked up a rental car from Avis (PT Cruiser) that is rubbish. Car is complete nonsense. Hopefully that is the worse that occurs this weekend.

The run this morning was fine. We did a few light strides post jog.

The rumor is that a few Kips showed up to race. I haven't seen any faces yet so I'm not sure who is all here. Last weekend there was a big time race in Kansas City, MO and the winners went 65:17. I'm hoping some of those guys didn't stick around as it's not too far of a drive down to Joplin. Regardless, the goal is to go out and run relaxed the first 5k before really getting after it. Brilliant strategy right? If I'm feeling cheeky I might just go all Shawn Forrest/Sammy Chelanga and toss in some mad surges after the gradual uphill in the middle of the race (4.5 to 6 miles).

I also forgot Mr. Garmin at home. I've come to rely on him a bit too much in the marathon and half-marathon cycles, but it will be good to get back to the true nature of running off feel. I usually don't really care about mid-race splits while I'm in the heat of competition but I do like to analyze them afterward. Since some Kenyans are here I expect to run a little too fast in the early stages. The key will be to remain relaxed until the latter stages and pushing for the C.R.E.A.M. (If you're over 40, be warned about clicking that last link, rap music ensues.)

No comments: