Monday, June 29, 2009

Name Dropping

Time: 29:01
Distance: 4 miles

I ran with Scotty from Brookhaven Village this evening after work. The pace was leisurely through the neighborhood and the legs continued to feel great. I was able to take a bit of a nap this afternoon before heading in to work at the shop. I hope the extra rest will provide with a boost for tomorrow's workout. I'll be cutting 20 shapes in the morning on Norman High's track (for those of you who don't know the lingo, cutting shapes refers to running 400s).

Until recently, my buddy Tarpy had a great blog (cuttingshapes.blogspot.com), but has since taken it down. Tarpy and I first learned of the term "cutting shapes" back in '07 while in Providence on a run with Max Smith and Mark Carroll. Smith had just returned from the World University Games and he was explaining how the winner of both the 800 meters and 1500 meters was out "cutting shapes" prior to his races. He was running something like 52s looking completely effortless and was clearly the class of the field. Tarpy and I loved the term as it was clever, and, yet made complete sense.

1 comment:

Kevin Balance said...

I appreciate the "cutting shapes" commentary. I didn't know you spent time in RI. I've logged many a mile on the bike path and Blackstone Blvd.