Saturday, November 21, 2009

DII Nationals

Time: 39:29
Distance: 6.24 miles
Pace: 6:19
Map

I got in late last night to Henderson, KY but luckily we didn't have to be up early. I spent a relaxing morning by the Holiday Inn Express breakfast line. I wasn't eating but I definitely drank a pot of coffee.

When it was time, we drove out the the course in Evansville, IN. Southern Indiana University was hosting the race and the course took place on some backfields and frisbee golf course. It seemed like a decent venue to host a race, not the best but I've seen far worse.

Benny and I needed to get in a run and decided that it would be best to run the men's 10k loop. I needed to form a viewing game plan for the race and running the course would allow that to happen. We were running a little short on time and the pace of the run kept creeping down. I was feeling good having not run much the last 3 days and finally getting the chance, I wanted to make the most of it.

The course is brutally tough. The first loop is common between the men and women. One hill to worry about but the rest is a challenging cross country course. However, on the second loop that the men run, the back hills portion, is rough. And I mean rough. At about 3 miles the harriers will be sent up a monster of a hill, down a really long stretch and then straight back into the hill on loops 1 and 3. There will be some grimaced faces later in the day!

I was feeling the pain on my easy 6 mile run, so I could only imagine what was to come when the real running starts.

Women's 6k:
A few impressions from this race: 1) The Adam's State women race with white makeup and black lipstick. They look beat up. 2) DII schools almost make a mockery of themselves with all the capes, paint and swords. It definitely adds to the atmosphere, but perhaps not in the best way. 3) Meagan look shocked just before the mile when she was in 135th-ish place. She had the look of "why are there 134 other girls in front of me? She moved up well to finish 93rd. 4) The Queens team really needs a fifth runner. Know anybody? 5) This is not the best spectator friendly course. I had a hard time seeing the athletes more than 4 or 5 times. At regionals it was at least eight. 6) Neely Spence went out hard and paid the price. She was will eventual winner Jessica Pixler at 2.7 miles, but wound up 43rd overall. 7) I covered only 1.74 miles during the race.

Men's 10k:
1) The Adam's State team is really, really good. We already knew that. They ran a dominating race up front. 2) There is a lot of foreign blood in the lead pack. At one point I think I counted 12 of the top 15 as being foreign. 3) It's much easier to beat the women to important spots on the course than it is the men. 4) Several people made comments as to me being German Fernandez when I was racing around to cheer. 5) Simon Stuetzel loves to take it out hard. Today he paid for it. 6) Oscar ran a great race to finish 7th overall. 8) Futsum dropped out with a mile to go. 9) The Queens team placed 7th overall despite Futsum dropping out with a mile to go. 10) I ran 2.34 miles while cheering.

During the brief awards ceremony I fit in another 14:39 and 2.01 miles.

No comments: