Friday, November 13, 2009

Zilker Park

Time: 55:12
Distance: 8.78 miles

W/u: 16: 10 for 2.11 miles
W/o: 26:28 for 5.01 miles
C/d: 12:34 for 1.66 miles

This morning I set out with Mike Carmody to run a workout near Town Lake. We left before 7:00 to meet up with a few other UT guys who weren't racing regionals. We ran a short warm up to Zilker Park and then got to work.

The team was doing a 20 minute tempo/threshold effort around the perimeter of the park. The assistant coach who was present wanted Mike and I to run as our own group due to NCAA regulations. I was glad to have someone to workout with this morning and it was going to be interesting if I could get into xc mode. The park was a little torn up from SXSW or Austin City Limits, one of the big music festivals had torn up the normally golf like grass. It took my stride a few minutes to get used to running on the wet surface. I have to admit that I was shocked to see an opening split under 5:30.

Our splits were: 5:17, 5:16, 5:17, 5:17, 5:20.

Mike ran with me for the first 20 minutes and then stopped. I didn't struggle the last lap but wasn't able to keep the same rhythm. Overall, I'm really pleased with how this workout turned out.

I was supposed to run a few 400s after the 5 mile tempo, but the ribs from the night before were calling and after the first quarter I called it a day.

No comments: