Sunday, November 14, 2010

Garmin Flub or That Bad?

Time: 113:55
Distance: 16.24 miles
Pace: 7:00??
Map

The Garmin royally messed up the splits somehow on this run. I'm not even sure if the time and distance were accurate. Either way I was planning on going 20 miles, but my motivation quickly waned around 10 miles.

I started the run from Old Bell and soon linked up with Caitlin. We ran together for about 7.5 miles with one stop at the main entrance for me to apply coconut butter to my thighs. Yes, you read that correctly. The hippie Chrisman family not only doesn't eat meat, but they don't use Body Glide. Instead they've found that coconut butter works quite nicely to keep the body from chafing. It also smells terrific and I can vouch that the all natural lube works!

We parted ways after a quick 10 minute add on. I think Caitlin's mom was able to snap a couple photos when we ran by. If she did, she'll have spotted Red and Pancho Villa running in Karhu Forward Rides. This guys is currently sporting a filthy 'stache that will be in its full glory next week in Austin, TX. Wait for some what I hope to be great photos.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked from what turned out to be a rough one. I ran back to the car and dropped off my jacket which was unnecessary for the warm fall temps. I was at just under 10 miles and hoped that I would see Nathan Stanford out on the dirt when I ventured back to the park. It didn't happen and my run got tougher and tougher. I usually don't get hungry during runs, but I was craving pancakes, eggs and syrup. I couldn't get them out of my head. I've never really bonked on a run where I've been totally, utterly depleted of glycogen, but this was headed that direction. I still managed to run out to the Footlocker Course, loop around around it and run back to the car, but I ended the morning with just over 16 miles.

Splits:
7:43, 7:16, 7:08, 6:57, 6:48, 6:44, 7:01, 7:03, 6:37, 6:29, 6:35, 6:41, 8:40??, 7:25??, 6:29, 6:23

I was glad to be done and hurried home to whip up some flapjacks. They were good.

2 comments:

Stanfords said...

Hated to leave you hanging out there Sunday. I couldn't trade my New Dad costume for the running get up until Noon, and I ended up going 13 solo on the Davidson XC trails. We'll hook up for a run of these days.

By the way, I had planned 20-22 and pulled the plug early too. Just couldn't fathom another 9 miles of 1.5 mile loops.

Unknown said...

So, when I give you your stocking for Christmas, I'll be sure to fill it with all the hippie goods that are quite handy for runners. Glad I made you a believer of the all natural lube!