Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week in Review

Time: 887:46
Distance: 126.03 miles

Nathan Stanford threw down the gauntlet this week in an email that said:

Just got back in from my lunch run which puts me at 110 through 6 days with another 16-20 on tap tomorrow morning to round out the week… Granted the quality is a little lower than what you’re running, but all the same—consider this your challenge, if you choose to accept it.

I should add that this is intended to be all in good fun. Normally I wouldn’t drop such a pansy caveat after a manly challenge, but since you don’t know me very well yet it’s best to explain.

Oh man. I had to step my game up. I don't think I've ever hit 110 miles in 6 days and here was Nathan throwing it in my face. It was on!

I also commend a guy who is a new father to logging that many miles. Impressive stuff considering the time commitment for work, family and then running. (Let's see if Nick Frank is reading... Nick is also a new father and hasn't run a lick in weeks. He went on some "epic" mountain run that absolutely obliterated his quads, hamstrings and immune system. I thought this guy was hardcore, but I guess not).

Anyway, I assumed since the email was sent on Friday and he was already on day six that his week starts on Sunday rather than Monday. This meant that I had the rest of Friday and the weekend to take my week to date mileage total from 81-82 to 130. It would be hard, but possible.

I came up a little short hitting my secondary goal of 130, but I still logged a career weekly high. Nathan also logged 126 so we'll call it a draw. I'm feeling good with all the miles on the legs too. I really only had one bad run this week and it came Sunday out at McAlpine. I intended to put in some more miles to reach my goal, but ended up bagging that plan when the darkness arrived and the refrigerator invited me to have a look.

Next week I hope to log triple digits, but I'll have in Austin, TX working at The Running Event. Meagan and I were chatting that it's ironic that at such an event it's very difficult to find the time to actually run. Go figure...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have bested both Nathan and you in mileage this week had I only squeezed in that 90 miles I meant to run yesterday. Totally would have done it too if I didn't have to drive back from Richmond. You guys got lucky. Also good to note that you're both running with comparable talent - Nathan got miles in with me while Jordan ran with Nelson Mwangi. Definitely a wash there.