Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Meagan's McMullen Workout

Time: 99:33
Distance: 14.57 miles

W/u: 16:28 for 2 miles
W/o: Length of McMullen uptempo, return with 3 x mile with mile rest
C/d: 8:18 for 1 mile

I was sitting at the RFYL Grand Prix Series banquet last night and Tim Rhodes called out Brian McMahon's name for an age group award. It was only then that I realized my tower twin wasn't in attendance and that I wasted a perfectly good applause on the chump. I shot him a text and invited him to meet up at McMullen for a workout in the morning. I've only run at McMullen six or so times, and half of those, I seem to spot B-Mac. It would only be fitting to have him along.

The plan laid out for Meagan was to run hard the length of the greenway followed by some alternating easy/hard miles on the return. It would be a long workout, but I wanted the legs to take a beating versus having the pace taking a toll on the breathing. I hoped she'd be able to handle splits of 6:30 miles considering her recent hour long tempo at McAlpine.

B-Mac, Meagan and I got in an easy 2 mile warm up out and back along the dirt section off Hwy-51. It was nice having another person along though Ms. Nedlo was a bit skeptical at first. That soon all changed when we started and she realized this was going to be a good workout.

Splits according to Mr. Garmin:
6:16, 6:09, 6:07, 6:05, 6:08, 4:49 for .78 miles (6:13 pace). Tempo total of 35:38.
(6:36 for .82 miles), 5:59 for 1 mile, (7:17 for .98 miles), 5:50 for 1 mile, (7:27 for .99 miles) 5:58 for 1 mile
74:47 and 11.57 miles total at 6:27 average.

Splits according to Nike watch and McMullen mile markers:
35:38 on the tempo
(6:35 rest), 5:48, (7:28), 5:48, (7:26), 5:58)

Meagan looked and sounded good throughout the workout. I felt solid playing pacesetter during the uptempo portion. Just look at those splits! Who could have asked for anything more even than that? I'll stop boasting and say the greenway is longer than I remember. I thought it was closer to 5 miles, but turns out it's nearly 6.

Also, should I mention that Meagan ran the legs off of B-Mac after the first hard mile on the return? I hope he continues to join us for workouts this fall and winter. It was a great morning to be out on the greenway as the temperature was nearly ideal. I wish it could resemble this all year long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chump!