Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lee G FTW

Time: 44:56
Distance: ~5 miles

The day was spent over at the Austin Convention Center setting up various booths for The Running Event. I arrived a little late and helped finish up the Orthaheel booth. Fuel Belt, Nuun, and Balega were also busy putting together their displays when I slipped out with Lee (Chicago) and Kela (Tennessee) to grab some coffee. We had a TGA meeting to get ready after our boss, Paul, got back from visiting with his wood packer. No really. He had to meet up with a guy who was delivering wood for his smoker. How else do you get delicious brisket? You need good wood.

We got fueled up on delicious Starbucks coffee which really is a shame because there are so many great independently owned coffee shops in Austin. Somehow none of us could find on on 6th St., the main bar street that perpetually smells like alcohol and vomit. I'm sure it's fun after a UT football win, but there haven't been many of those this season.

Our meeting was productive as Team TGA is strong and numbers are good. We had some time to kill before the opening cocktail reception in the expo hall so Lee and I decided to go for a run. I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago that despite being "the running event" there is very little time for the actual activity. Lee and I found that time and hit up Town Lake for a few miles. I'm not going to pull punches and I'm not sure if Lee even reads this blog, but he's packed on a few pounds since our first run together a full year ago in Portsmouth, NH. The pace was slow but it allowed me have a good honest discussion with Mr. Greenberg. It also kept me fresh for the biggest 5k race of the year tomorrow morning.

The rest of the night was spent back at the expo where I was the smelly kid. Lee and I tried to shower up back at Paul's but we failed to break in and we didn't have key. I attended the reception smelling something awful and had to venture out to a Mexican dinner with the Nuun and Fuel Belt crew. Scott Schilter selected Guero's which would have been delicious if I had been able to tear into the meats. Instead I ordered a vegetarian dish with chicken so that I would feel heavy in the morning. I don't know about you, but the next morning I feel more than sluggish after a big meal of Mexican food.

It was early to bed after a shower and shave. And by shave, I mean I shaved my chin and left the mess above the upper lip. This means I am rocking a slick Pancho Villa style mustache. I would fit in perfectly with the pitching staff of the World Champion SF Giants. Some, like Meagan, would say mustaches are gross, but I maintain that it's simply a bit of awesome on my face.

No comments: