Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kenyan Lifestyle...Kinda

Total Time: 135:49
Total Distance: 19.93 miles
Part I

Time: 40:07
Distance: 6.25 miles
Pace: 6:25
Part II
Time: 64:37
Distance: 9.56 miles
Pace: 6:46
Part III
Time: 15:26
Distance: 2.01 miles
Pace: 7:41
Part IV
Time: 15:39
Distance: 2.11 miles
Pace: 7:24

This morning I watched a few races live on NBC's Universal Sports. First up was the 1/2 Marathon World Championships this morning live from Rio de Janeiro. The Eritrean Zersenay Tadese took command early and ran away with it. I think the women ran too. Next up was the Chicago Marathon which was blazed in 2:06:25 by Evans Cheruiyot. The two man battle was impressive to watch deep into the race. I saw that Boaz Cheboiywo rabbitted early on and took the leaders through 10 miles around 4:45 pace.

Part I
I was amped up on 30 ounces of French pressed/plunged coffee by the conclusion of the races and decided to go out for a run. I contemplated doing a workout on the track to get ready for the MCM Beer Mile but that wasn't to be. Instead I ran over to OK Runner and happened to see that Craig's FJ Cruiser was parked out back. I went inside and chatted with him for 10-15 minutes, drank some water, used the bathroom and gave Lance a hard time (Lance is Craig's dog).

Part II
I had the wind at my back for the majority of the first part of the run and I decided to take this next section easy. I ran back east the same as yesterday down 36th and over Lindsey. Along the way I got a brilliant idea to run straight to Scotty D's house, pick him up for a jog to The Library for happy hour and pizza, but then I realized that I didn't have my i.d. on me. I continued running along Lindsey St. and decided to go by Scotty's anyway. He was taking a nap, but was summoned to come out and play. He liked my Library idea but that meant I had to run back to Campus Lodge for me to get my driver's liscense. Scotty biked alongside as I ran to the apartment, made a change of shoes, socks, shorts and shirt, grabbed my i.d. and chugged some water. At this point I had nearly 16 miles on my feet but I was feeling good and thought a few more couldn't hurt. We'll see how this pans out tomorrow.

Part III
Scotty brought his running shoes and was willing to test out his foot on a jog from the Lodge to The Library. We kept the pace slow which I desperately needed. I still was running on 30 ounces of coffee and a lemonade Gatorade that I pinched from Dizzle's house. It's okay though because he pinched it from the OU footbal team. We arrived at The Library where I enjoyed two Brown Owl Ales and Scotty had the IPA. We put in an order for a BBQ chicken pizza that rounded things out. We were getting ready to leave but needed to put in a little McNellie's Pub Run/beer mile training. We both ordered a Coach's Stout and prepared mentally for the run home. After not being able to remember the Irish drinking toast, it was bottoms up. The beer went down smoothly, but it wasn't as thick as a Guinness so it was a bit easier to drink.

Part IV
After 3 beers and half a pizza it was time for the real running to begin. Surprisingly I felt pretty good after a few minutes. I thought I felt a cramp coming on about a mile into the run home but that subsided and I was good to go. This was a good training exercise in running with a full stomach, perhaps simulating the 3rd and 4th laps of a beer mile. I need to start getting in some quicker workouts in order to open up the longs and get the breathing labored. The hardest part in two weeks will be trying to drink a carbonated beverage out of breath.

The body held up pretty good today, but I'll be interested to see how I feel in the morning. I expect everything to be sore including my right ankle which I twisted during Part I today. I made sure to ice my left knee, left achilles, right foot and right hip before going to be tonight. Oh, almost forgot, the title of the post refers to running everywhere in town like the Kenyans, but I don't think they stop to eat pizza and enjoy sno-cones.