Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Track Workout?!?! WTF!?!?

Time: 45:08
Distance: 5.5 miles

Well, since I'm running a beer mile in a few weeks it's about time that I take to the track and see if I'll be able to run 75 second quarters comfortably. I wanted to start things off with an easy introductory workout to get me back on the track remaining healthy. (On a somewhat related note, Meagan has some sort of bet going with Jilane that I won't be healthy in 35 days. I'm not sure what the terms are, but I threatened to stop running for 35 days to ensure the victory).

I warmed up to the track from the Lodge in 14:31 at a very comfortable pace. I had a 200 meter workout in the back of my mind that I thought would be a good first step for being back on the track.

Target: 8 x 200m in 35s with 200m jog.
Actual: 2 sets of 4 x 200m.
Set I Splits: (58), 35.76, (62), 35.32, (62), 34.40, (60), 33.54. Jogged 400m in 2:06. Rested and stretched for 2:30 and then did a second set.
Set II Splits: (58), 33.96, (59), 33.93, (60), 33.29, (61), 31.69.
17:11 total.

Not a great workout, but certainly not a bad one either. I felt strong and relaxed the entire way. The first couple 200s were a rude awakening and almost embarrassing to think I should be able to run a full 5k at that pace. Anyway, after settling into the workout the legs adjusted to the pace quickly. The second set was easier than the first and I could have done several more. I cooled down back to the Lodge in 13:36.

The next step is cutting a few shapes...

1 comment:

Jilane said...

for clarification, i have said you will make it until at least the first day of decemeber without re-injury. i have faith.

so, prove me right and stop doing effing track workouts. i'm putting you in a bubble right after the beer mile.

the stakes are high (though undetermined as of yet...)