Sunday, October 19, 2008

Night Run and Some 2 Hundos

Time: 75:53
Distance: 11 miles

I sat around most of the day doing a whole lot of nothing. That's not completely true, but I didn't do much. I read somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 NY Times articles and some of my book about "The Worst Hard Time" during the 1930s. When I finally got motivated to run around 3:40 pm, I also got motivated to eat so I had some toast and oatmeal (at least it wasn't for dinner). That pushed the run back even further and when I finally got out the door it was 6:20 pm. I ran with headphones again for whatever reason and even took a phone call on the run from Kristi. We are grabbing something to eat Monday night after her insurance exam. I felt a little like Dean Karnazes who regularly conducts business on 100 mile runs. Scroll down to the bottom of those results, DK doesn't do too well. Did someone say overrated?

So the run took me on Brooks and over to Sutton Woods. Apparently they have been ripping up the part of Main St. that right where I run to cut across to the park. It looks like a pretty serious project with the possibility of them putting in a roundabout. I'm not sure if the citizens of Norman are ready for a roundabout. If you've had the privilege of driving in Oklahoma, you would know they have a hard enough time merging on the highway. A roundabout is basically a constant merging process. Hell, the roundabout near the Cabazon Outlets just outside of Palm Springs created a cluster.

I made one loop around the trail before heading back. It felt like I was running at a good clip but it could have been the "night time running effect." I ran downtown along Main St. and looked at a few loft apartments above Mister Robert's Furniture. I returned to campus on Jenkins when I spotted that a light was on at the track. I had to see who it was and found that Mitch Henry had just finished his routine. He is still training for the decathlon and will be on the track every evening at 7 pm. At this point in the run I had put 58:30 on my feet but decided to run some 200s. I couldn't pass up the opportunity with the lights.

Splits: 34.01, (61), 33.46, (57), 32.16, (56), 30.26, (52) for a mile in 5:55.

After that I turned of the lights and ran home in 11:28.

1 comment:

Meagan Nedlo said...

If you're trying to make me feel like a loser for eating oatmeal and toast for dinner, it's not working. So there.