Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day Off

Time: none
Distance: none
Gym: nope

Complete day off to let the achilles rest. I got a comment on the blog from a reader who says:
I dont know how bad off your achilles is...I have two really bad years of achilles issues...I am not sure if you have heard of DMSO, or if that would even help you. some people think it does nothing for the achilles but I think it helped a little. Supposably its dangerous but I think im still quite normal.

Thanks for the comment and thanks for reading. I do know about DMSO and I have recently purchased some from a company out in California. I first heard of DMSO when I was in high school from my high school coach Danny Aldridge. Danny ran for Athletics West in the 80s when American distance running was strong and willing to push the envelope. He said that he and his teammates would get the DMSO from a horse trainer near Eugene and they would crush up ibuprofen to mix into the substance before applying it directly to the injured/inflammed area. I was lucky to have a good high school coach as there are so many terrible ones out there these days. I attribute much of my success as a prep runner to his coaching and training philosophy. Danny was the 111 American to break 4 minutes in the mile (there is another familiar name at #115) and he is still in the U.S. record books for the all popular 4 x 1500m relay.

I have used the DMSO + ibuprofen mixture about 3 times now and I don't know what to think. I'm somewhat wary of the warnings but also ready to get rid of the inflammation. I hope that a few applications of DMSO doesn't cause a giant tumor to form on my lower leg.

No comments: