Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Surprise... Better than Chlamydia

Time: ??
Distance: a partial lap of the UT rec fields
Gym: no
Bike: yes

It was an early Valentine's Day morning for me as I still had to pack for my quick trip to Austin. I was told to bring some sleeping equipment because Hanley's pad was going to be full of Dartmouth dudes. Kristi and Coleman picked me up and took me to the airport as they were on their way to Edmond for the Frigid Five. I almost didn't pack running shoes so that if I were tempted to run it would be possible to do so. I opted against that idea and brought along some kicks in the hopes of scoring a bike to watch the marathon.

The flights went without a hitch. It would be pretty hard for Southwest to mess up two 35 minute flights (OKC to Dallas to Austin). I gave Owen a ring to tell him that I had landed and he told me that "we" would be there shortly. I assumed "we" referred to Owen + Hanley, but I was surprisingly greeted by Owen + Meagan. She pulled off a wonderful stunt and came to hang out for the weekend. Great Valentine's Day gift. Since, I didn't know she was going to be there her present didn't come along. The afternoon was spent hanging out at Hanley's and being introduced to lots of folk, some familiar faces and lots of new ones.

I rode the bike during Meagan's double run in the afternoon. Hanley has a decent road bike that requires biking shoes, but I was able to ride with the Lunartrainers rather comfortably. I took Meagan in the direction of Owen's old neighborhood and even found the rec fields that I ran on a few years ago when I was down in Austin for the Texas Relays. We got to the fields and I was in good spirits so I ditched the bike and jogged a lap with Meagan. The achilles felt okay. It didn't hurt, just a little sore, but running anything legitimate wouldn't be a step in the right direction.

In the evening I was privileged to play a little pong for the first time. Beirut is a game, flip cup is a game, but pong is a sport... or so I'm told. My new goal for the weekend is for a Brown vs. Dartmouth victory in pong. It's good to have goals and when I decided to not race the marathon I've been without focus. Being fit, injured and without focus is a terrible time.

No comments: