Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Extreme Measures

Time: none
Distance: none
Gym: yes

This morning a customer came into the store who is a D.O. (doctor of osteopathic medicine) and I told him about my achilles troubles. You gotta keep reading because Dr. Kim Floyd isn't a quack and I trust his advice on medical issues. Anyway, he offered that if I was serious about running the marathon, no guarantees about being able to finish, that I could come by his office and he'd take a look at the leg so that he could write a prescription for steroids. Know don't start calling me A-fraud (Tarpy and Owen), he offered one for methylprednisolone which is similar to anti-biotics in the sense that you take a decreasing dosage from days 1-6. At about noon I walked over to his office and was handed a slip a few minutes later for the juice. After a quick walk over to CVS I had a small package of pills in my palm and was ready to start hitting homeruns.

The doc told me that the inflammation on the lateral side was probably due to a slight tear in the achilles and that taking the 'roids would drastically decrease the pain and inflammation. He said the drugs would allow me to run, but warned that I still might not be able to finish the race. He was confident that I wouldn't rupture the achilles tendon in the process of racing but he couldn't say what the level of pain would be post-race. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I have the drugs and I will probably start the prescribed amount on Weds. morning.

After getting home from work I walked up to Downtown Fitness and joined a gym. It fits with my recent lifestyle because it's pretty crappy. I sleep on the floor, bums live in my hallway, my oven doesn't seem to heat food (it just distributes natural gas) and now I belong to a busted gym. I don't really have a routine yet, but I'm hoping to do a bit of cardio in the morning and focus more on lifting in the evening.

2 comments:

Tarpy said...

Jo-Roid,
good luck with the extreme measures. have you tried herbal patches?

Anonymous said...

Will you have roid-rage? I hear they also dry out your skin.