Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Sign of Return

Time: 27:41
Distance: ~4 miles

This run was just shy of 4 miles and I would normally go out and find another few minutes of run time but not when I'm trying to run smart. Scotty and I left OK Runner a little before 4 pm for a jog through Brookhaven on a warm but windy day. Spring feels like it is just around the corner which usually signals the time for me to get hurt. I think the past two years I've made it through winter healthy only to be greeted with a niggle upon the arrival of warmer temps. This year has to be different since it seems as though I'm on the mend which is good you know because I have a marathon to run in a few days.

I spent a good portion of the day attending to the lower leg with a couple massage sessions with IB Relief. The time out on the roads was good but I know I can get things to great. The right achilles is still a bit inflamed though improved over the last 48 hours. Also, the level of pain is less than where it was a few weeks ago when I ran a short workout of 2 x 2 miles. Now that I'm not running as much it's hard to tell what would happen if I chose to put in a 10 miler. I know I could finish, but I'm not sure what would happen towards the latter stages of the run. Right now the 30 minute mark leaves me running at a pain level of about a 2 or 3 out of 10. Not sure what the running plans are for the next few days but I'll be sure not to push the pain threshold while continuing to do all the little extras for the achilles.

No comments: