Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tempo Run for the Fans

Time: 89:34
Distance: 13.74 miles
W/u: 32:33 for 4.35 miles
W/o: 33:13 for 6.02 miles
C/d: 23:48 for 3.37 miles

I was out on the roads at 6:30 am to meet Scotty along Pickard again this morning. It wasn't that windy, a bit humid and warmer than I expected when I opened the downstairs door to Main St. I wore a pair of Zensah compression sleeves for the legs, the LunarTrainers and my yellow Nike Team OK Runner kit. I was trying to simulate the marathon garb as much as possible this morning. We are getting some new ones for OKC but I'm not sure what they are going to look like. I've heard they might be adidas kits which might be cool.

The warmup was basic and the legs were feeling pretty good but my calves were a touch sore. I'll have to focus on keeping them loose the next few days.

The workout had us targeted to hit splits between 5:30 and 5:40. The goal was to run marathon pace as comfortably as possible. We were hitting splits of 5:35, 5:32, 5:28, 5:36, 5:24, 5:31. My breathing wasn't as relaxed as I would have hoped but the pace wasn't too difficult. There were times when Scotty and I got to chatting and then I'd glance done to see that Mr. Garmin had us running 5:50 pace. I'm not sure what the deal was there but it wasn't difficult running 5:30s. I'm hoping that we can maintain 5:45s for the first 10k to 20k with a group of 4 or 5 guys on Sunday.

No comments: