Friday, July 4, 2008

Chandler Cow Bell Run

Time: 52:55
Distance: ~8 miles
Race: 16:00

Sign at base of the pathway near the race start.

This morning Scotty D and I drove out to Chandler, OK for the Cow Bell Run. The race was offering $100 to the winner which enticed us into going. After waking up around 5:00 am and leaving around 5:45 am, we rolled into town around 6:45 to register for the race. Both of us didn't get much of a warmup (7:30 mins), but there were only 34 athletes that toed the line this morning. We weren't too worried about it.

I decided to take the race out hard in hopes of catchy Scotty off guard. Didn't work out too well for me. I wasn't wearing a watch but I clipped through the 2k mark feeling decent. At the turn around Scotty caught up and took off around the 3k mark. I didn't have much of a response. I'm not racing as agressively as I know I can/have in the past. I know my fitness is still developing at this stage. Scotty ran well to finish in 15:36 and I packed it in with a 16:00.

Sign pointing to the steps

On our cooldown of 29:25 we got to explore downtown Chandler. It was a two stoplight town with your typical Main St. stores... a movie theater, a couple restaurants, and a bakery. Of course there was also an unneccesary furniture store, electronic store, and appliance store taking up prime locations. After the awards presentation and handing out some OK Runner socks along with Brookhaven Run entry forms, we ran up the famed steps of Chandler. People were really appreciative of the socks and hopefully the store will benefit.


The steps and the old MG that was at the top. Possibly Pre's?

On the drive home we opted for Route 66. What is more patriotic than driving along Route 66 on the Fourth of July? We planned for at a stop at Pops which is big on specialty soda. After enjoying a fried egg sandwich and a milkshake we headed back to Norman.


Coke bottle outside of Pops and the menu cover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It could challenge the ideas of the people who visit your blog.