Sunday, July 6, 2008

Long Run

Time: 120:08
Distance: 17-18 miles
Map

Scotty D and I got out the door later than usual and we thought it was going to bite us in the ass. We were pretty certain that the run was going to turn into a death march the last 5 miles. The pace started off relaxed as we ran north on 24th. We appreciated the breeze out of the south as we turned onto Tecumseh and ran out towards Oscar's house. Last night at the Red Hawk's game where the Thompson family went to watch Birdzerk (careful on the click... might want to turn your sound down or off) perform I asked Oscar to put out some water. He told me that there were Gatorades in his fridge that we could help ourselves to. We reached his house around 40 mins and the cold beverage was key. Shortly thereafter I took my first Clif Shot--vanilla varietal--while running. I can understand why people complain about the taste and texture, but it didn't upset my stomach.

When we made the turn onto 72nd, the hill seemed much longer and steeper than I had remembered it being. I'm definitely not as fit as I was when I ran this loop sometime in March with Owen. The time before I ran the loop with Owen I really hammered it. The pace was probably around 6:30 to 6:40 while we were out along 72nd and remained the same once we turned onto Lindsey to head back into town. I split the two miles from 60th to 36th along Lindsey which were 6:19 and 6:20. Shortly thereafter we stopped to get some water at a horse stable before running the last 15 minutes back to the Lodge looping through the frisbee golf park.

Good run today. I'm glad Scotty and I committed to doing it. The hills were a bit rough but overall this is what I think I needed. The legs didn't feel too bad. I had a little stiffness in my right hip and my calves were a little sore when I woke up. I didn't feel great the last 30 minutes, but I definitely didn't crash. I took a Gu (chocolate) at about 85 to 90 minutes, not because I needed it but I was getting sick of carrying it in my back pocket.


No comments: