Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Bit of Irish Luck

Time: 52:15
Distance: 8.38 miles
W/u Splits: 7:31, 6:53, 2:39 (for .38 miles at 7:20 pace)
W/o Splits: 5:26, 5:25, 5:16, 5:10
C/d: 13:52
Map

Today things got serious in terms of the training. Rewinding to last night Scotty, Gus and I compared and contrasted the pours of the black stuff from cans vs. bottles. I worked on my technique and found that gripping and ripping worked best with a Guinness can. It was difficult to get the beer to set up with any resemblance to what you would get out of a tap and don't think I'm telling you that we know how to pour the stuff here in Oklahoma. Da WeeMan can reprimand me for not know the proper way to get the right layer from a can or bottle. But, then again Da WeeMan is a pro with things like getting the best creamy head possible... when it comes to drinks. Anyway, back to this morning and how lucky I was to wake up at 4 am to drink some water for the workout's hydration preparation.

I set off in the direction of Pickard knowing the workout could be a bit of a crime. The pace didn't look that fast on paper but I haven't done anything under 5:40 without a girl in tow in quite some time. I was hoping the southern breeze would keep things in control the first few miles and give me a boost when I started to hurt. Jailhouse's goal for me was to run 5:30, 5:25, 5:20, 5:15 for 4 miles. As you can see from the splits above I was successful though I may have dry heaved at the end of the last mile. For some reason I felt the need to drop a 5:10 and not 5:11 or 5:12 which kept me after the pace Mr. Garmin was telling me and with 200m to go I wasn't feeling so hot. After a quick cool down I was off to work feeling good. I think the Irish gave me a bit of luck last night and I'll take it.

No comments: