Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sutton Woods Workout

Total Time: 72:38
W/u: 23:14 for 3.19 miles
W/o
: 34:52 for 6.17 miles
C/d: 14:32 for 2.00 miles
Total Distance: 11.36 miles

I headed out in the direction for Sutton Woods this morning with a 4 x 1.5 mile workout staring me in the face. I haven't run in Sutton at sub-5:45 pace in a really long time, if ever. On the jog over I knew that having some blockage from the wind would be helpful. I wanted to make sure the distance of the loop was close to 1.5 miles before starting the workout so I toured the course a final time before plunging into the splits. I was glad to learn that the full loop is roughly 1.55 miles.

Just as I was about to start the workout in the standard counter-clockwise direction a group of 5 half-way housed adolescents came strolling through. They were going to be in one of the narrowest sections of the course so I opted to run in the opposite direction. This meant that the wind would be at my back for the first 400-600m.

Interval #1: 5:10, 2:36 (1:00). I went out too hard for the first 800-1200m as the watch was reading 4:50 pace at the start. This was due to me wanting to have a good workout and the wind at my back. I started to feel heavy by 1.25 miles. Not good considering this was the first interval.
Interval #2: 5:13, 2:37 (1:00). Again, I went out too hard for the first section and started to feel heavy in the arms before I hit the mile. I was trying to relax but it was difficult with all of the turns. This was the closest I would come to hitting the right pace.
Interval #3: 5:20, 2:42 (1:00). On this interval I tried to run controlled the first 800m knowing the wheels were about to fall off. This was going to be the reverse hammer interval as I hoped I could finish things off well.
Interval #4: 5:25, 2:41. I was feeling pretty terrible by 800m and considered stopping but I knew even if I wasn't hitting the pace I was still running faster than goal marathon pace. The breathing wasn't too terrible but the upper body was heavy.

This wasn't the best workout but I will gain some fitness from it. Anything sub-2:30 pace will give me some benefit at this point. The legs are feeling healthy and I was glad to be on dirt today.

No comments: