Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day Two Coming Up

Time: 32:40
Distance: ~4 miles
Gym: afternoon stretching

Day one is in the books and day two is coming up at the Ivy League Heps Championships. Brown is doing poorly down at the bottom of the barrel with 2 points. Duriel Hardy placed 5th in the 3k earned the team a couple of points. It will be a large task for the team to break the over/under that I put at 33, but big points should be expected from Matt Jasmin in the 60mHH. The team should break the abysmal 15 points scored in 2002 at Cornell. That year Brown qualified 4 guys to the mile finals and failed to score. The team needs to reverse the trend. FloTrack is on site and is providing some video coverage of the the meet.

In other news OU competed at the Big 12 Championships over Friday and Saturday. Jacob Boone was 4th in the mile where the new collegiate mile standard was set by German Fernandez in 3:55.02. That's fast. Really fast.

Update: I headed out the door this afternoon following a morning of refreshing internet sites. I stuck around Winans for a good bit watching how the races were playing out up in Boston. The body felt really good to be outdoors putting in some miles. I have been wearing a pair of Adrenalines and today I decided to slip in some SuperFeet. I'm trying to limit the amount of motion back at my heal through midfoot so that I'm not cranking on the achilles. I think this helped today as I felt great physically and my confidence is coming back about how much force I can apply to the toe-off.

I got to chat with my coach (read: running consultant) this evening and he suggested I form a plan for the next 3 weeks. I asked him how his continuous 3 week plan was working for him and he informed me that he was no longer pursuing the sport of athletics and would be taking up power lifting. Tom shouldn't give up the dream quite yet so I suggested that he imagine himself as a 53 year old menopausal woman who weighs 233 pounds. One day she looks in the mirror and is disgusted with herself and decides she wants to run a 5k. The Couch to 5k plan that has been advertised in Runner's World would provide Mr. McArdle with the perfect opportunity to get back on the national racing scene. Tom needs to do something because Keith Kelly is currently kicking ass on the comeback trail.

No comments: